The Social Alpha Entrepreneurs for Impact (E4i) program– a Tata Trusts Fellowship is a year-long immersive program that equips passionate ‘entrepreneurs-in-the-making’ with end-to-end capacity building and resources to leverage India’s deep science, innovation and entrepreneurship environment.
It is anchored in grassroots problem solving, immersive development sector experience, technology scouting, business planning and venture building. The program is designed to bring together entrepreneurs and innovators, and foster collaboration amongst some of the top educational, technical and philanthropic institutions in the world.
Social Alpha promotes innovations and entrepreneurship with a mission to create large scale sustainable social, economic and environmental impact.
We recognise the need for a program aimed at budding entrepreneurs and innovators that:
- is rooted in a practical, hands-on approach to solving societal problems
- is tailored to attract talented and passionate individuals looking to venture into entrepreneurship
- lowers the opportunity cost & entry barrier of starting a social business
- allows latent entrepreneurs to experiment without ‘fear of failure’ and learn technology scouting
- provides innovators and innovations within the Social Alpha ecosystem an opportunity & outlet to market
- is anchored in social enterprise building and immersive development sector experiences
- ‘Harnesses’ social entrepreneurs in India to build Social Enterprises for India!
- A monthly stipend of INR 60,000
- Access to our in-house resources free-of-cost
- Opportunity to pitch for seed funding upto INR 50 lakh
02.Strategic & Business Support
- 100+ hours of master classes on entrepreneurial know-how
- Access to domain experts, mentors, entrepreneurs, and functional specialists
- Checkpoint/ milestone-based progression
- Access to Social Alpha lab facilities for product development
- Access to our partner organizations
- Connections and immersion opportunity in interest area Experiential learning
- Networking opportunities with investors, mentors and industry leaders
- Final-year undergraduate students who are not scared to follow their own dreams and wants to start his/her company within
12 months of graduation
- Highly driven, self-starters, go-getters who are resilient and self-motivated to become a change-maker
- Deeply focused on creating a business that changes society for the better and has an impact on the underserved population of India
- Empathetic, passionate and have an ability to work with, as well as lead others
- Committed to the dream of building their own successful company and will leverage every opportunity that comes their way
Understanding critical problems of poverty and development in the Indian context
On-ground interventions to contextualize the challenges faced by the poor and underserved
Developing an understanding of technology – relevance, adoption and commerialization
Imparting basic business skills needed to start an enterprise
Iterative process for arriving at minimum viable product core to the enterprise
Final pitch presentation to investment committee
Need and Interventions
Product – Market Fit
Prototype to Solution
Introduction to Social Alpha and its partner ecosystem. Philosophy of capital, innovation and entrepreneurship for impact. Theory of change - Entrepreneurship as a pathway to create impact.
Huddle 1 - Problem Statements, Need and Interventions
Finding the problem statement, observing sector trends and boiling down to the scope of the intervention planned.
Immersion 1 - Exposure to Grassroots Challenges
A sector-wise immersion exercise along with the Tata Trusts’ on-ground interventions. The E4i candidate will gather contextual understanding of the problem and implementation challenges that exist on the ground. Issues at the Bottom of the Pyramid and various approaches that have been used to address them.
Immersion 2 - Exposure to Start-up Challenges
An enterprise-wise immersion exercise to be done along with the portfolio companies of Social Alpha or partners to understand the daily challenges experienced by entrepreneurs.
Developing an understanding of technology adoption and commercialization, gaining an exposure to innovations at various partner institutions like IITs, IISc, MIT, GOI labs etc.
Instructional Huddle 2 - Product-Market Fit:
Transitioning from an idea to a product/ service/ intervention through understanding product-market fit, competitive landscape and the product lifecycle. Understanding and establishing the product market fit and minimum viable product.
Bootcamp to guide entrepreneurs through all the basic business skills for starting their own enterprise.
Instructional Huddle 3 - Product Development and Prototyping:
Building viable products and gaining hands-on knowledge for the new product development process, and prototype development.
Iterative process for arriving at solutions and test in the market by piloting and conducting field trials, in parallel to GTM readiness.
Instructional Huddle 4 – Go-To-Market Readiness:
Understanding the techniques for sales, marketing and customer service.
Final pitch presentation to be presented to the specially constituted investment committee and potential external investors. Graduation ceremony leading to start-up announcement.
Selection & Identification Process
Program Start Date
Program End Date
We are partnering with leading universities to help us identify and support the best entrepreneurial minds on-campus. Our favoured partners are universities that:
- Encourage students to opt for entrepreneurship by instituting deferred placement options
- Have an on-campus culture of entrepreneurship and innovation
- Enable students to opt for fellowships and other alternate career opportunities
Our recruitment process involves:
- Information session/ pre-placement talk/ interaction with the students
- Recruitment Day: Interviews with Social Alpha stakeholders