India hosts numerous legacy institutions in agriculture, has a thriving corporate presence and a dynamic civil society, plenty of technology talent and a policy environment that focuses on rural development and is designed to work towards enhancing farmers’ incomes. Yet, agricultural innovations have failed to reach and/or benefit lives of the 75% of India’s farmers who are categorized as small and marginal farmers (with landholdings of less than two hectares) (NITI Ayog, 2015). One of the primary reasons for this fail is the lack of a formal structured bridge to connect the technology provider to the target user. There is a need to integrate the efforts of the state government, civil society and CSRs to develop interventions which answer the needs of the farmer communities and work with them to solve these challenges in a sustainable manner to create an irreversible impact on their lives.
About India Agritech Incubation Network
Indian Agritech Incubation Network (IAIN) is an initiative by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Social Alpha that envisions to create an enabling ecosystem for innovators and entrepreneurs developing solutions for smallholder farmers in order to help them become more productive, profitable and empowered. IAIN will drive ecosystem-level collaborations to improve incomes of smallholder farmers, reduce input costs while improving quality, increase productivity at the farm level, reduce post-harvest losses and provide better market access including value chain enhancements.
Launched in 2019, IAIN adopts an integrated approach to foster ecosystem-level collaboration amongst state government, agricultural universities, corporates, industry bodies and grassroots resource institutions to ensure a seamless flow of knowledge, technology, and expertise to benefit the community and the start-ups. The programme recognizes that the end-user is ‘sticky’ and there is a need to drive adoption at the last mile through pilots, product validations, knowledge and hiring centers and end-user financing. The programme design has an in-built focus on continuous learning and knowledge sharing through periodic stakeholder knowledge dissemination workshops and anecdotal case studies of field impact.
Each year, IAIN collaborates with the farming community and experts to identify critical problems faced on-ground. Agritech start-ups working to address the problems are open to apply to the program during the application cycle.
- Innovation to help farmers in reducing the cost of inputs and accessibility thereby improving the productivity.
- Affordable and sustainable solutions to reduce dependency on chemical inputs.
- Affordable and energy-efficient tools for land preparation, input application, inter cultivation, plant protection, harvesting etc that reduces drudgery, have improved user experience and are suitable for small land parcels.
- Near real-time, decentralized soil testing solutions, with accurate results and appropriate input recommendations.
- Precision crop health monitoring solutions that deliver actionable intelligence to reduce crop losses.
- Solutions for early pest/disease detection, monitoring system and advisory to minimize crop damage.
- Smart and energy efficient irrigation management system including rejuvenation and ground water recharging.
- Decentralized, affordable, and modular energy-efficient storage facilities for perishable and non-perishable commodities.
- Solutions to reduce storage losses and enhance the shelf-life of farm produce naturally.
- Sorting, grading and quality management and assurance solutions.
- Food processing technologies to convert highly perishable crops into value added products closer to farmgate.
- Farming as-a-service along with the agriculture value chain i.e., land preparation to market linkage.
- Solutions to enhance the productivity of livestock by addressing the challenges in the areas of animal nutrition, health & disease, and breed management.
- Solutions for mitigating the impact of extreme weather events on cattle’s, poultry, and fisheries.
- Solutions for input cost reduction and access to affordable equipment’s, actionable advisory and market linkages for inland fisheries.
Our Selected Startups For Year 1
- AgpharmaJuly 28, 2022
- AqgromalinJuly 28, 2022
- BharatRohanJuly 28, 2022
- Bio PrimeJuly 28, 2022
- BomlifeJuly 28, 2022
- Distinct HorizonJuly 28, 2022
- Earth AnalyticsJuly 28, 2022
- EF PolymerJuly 28, 2022
- Grassroots EnergyJuly 28, 2022
- Greenpod LabsJuly 28, 2022
- Grey MatterJuly 28, 2022
- Hueristic DevicesJuly 28, 2022
- InnoFarmsJuly 28, 2022
- KheytiJuly 28, 2022
- LoopwormJuly 28, 2022
- MisteoJuly 28, 2022
- AgrogradeJuly 28, 2022
- PashubajaarJuly 28, 2022
- TracexJuly 28, 2022